From Ayre website: Arguably the most important component in your system, the KX-5 delivers all of the performance and flexibility you have come to expect from an Ayre product. Following in the legendary footsteps of the KX-R preamplifier, the Ayre KX-5 lives up to the challenge with dynamics powered by our Diamond output stage and a finesse achieved by eliminating the traditional attenuating volume control with our 46 position Variable Gain Transimpedance (VGT) amplification circuit. Featuring six programmable inputs and our unique Equilock gain stage, the KX-5 will draw you in with its enchanting musicality and drop your jaw with its endless depth of stage.
- Ayre’s Diamond output stage
- Variable Gain Transimpedance (VGT) volume circuit
- Ayre’s exclusive Equilock circuit
- 46 step volume control, each of 1.5 dB
- Linear analog power supply
- zero-feedback, fully-balanced discrete circuitry
- High-speed circuit board material
- Input ground switching for true source isolation
- Six inputs: four balanced, two single-ended
- Ayre Conditioner power line RFI filter
- AyreLink communication system
Maximum Input Level
8 V rms – unbalanced inputs
16 V rms – balanced inputs
Gain Variable to match the required output level of the system without the need for attenuation.
1 MΩ unbalanced inputs
2 MΩ balanced inputs (1 MΩ per phase)
XLR Input Polarity
Pin 1 = Ground
Pin 2 = Non-inverting (Positive)
Pin 3 = Inverting (Negative)
DC - 250 kHz
40 watts in operating mode
60 watts in operating mode (volume control active)
17.25" W x 13.25" D x 3.75" H
(44cm x 34cm x 10cm)
23 pounds (10.5 kg)
The KX-5 was released in July 2013.
The KX-5 was updated to the KX-5 Twenty in January 2015.
All current Ayre products are fully upgradeable to the latest performance specifications for a reasonable price. Please contact Audible Images AV, your local Ayre dealer for information.
Link to Ayre website here.