From dCS website:
Vivaldi DAC uses the latest groundbreaking dCS technology including ‘next generation’ versions of the dCS Ring DAC™, Digital Processing Platform and Clocking System so that, as the hub of a digital audio system, an array of features guarantees superlative performance from any digital source.
Vivaldi DAC features standard AES3, Dual AES, SDIF-2 and S/PDIF inputs in addition to an asynchronous USB 2.0 interface. The enhanced digital volume control allows direct connection to a power amplifier so that in the majority of systems there is no need for a separate preamplifier. Maximum output can be set any one of four levels to suit different amplifier and speaker combinations.
The unique design of the legendary dCS Ring DAC™ combines exceptional linearity with very high speed operation enabling it to deliver true 24-bit performance even at low signal levels. The latest generation of our proprietary Ring DAC™ incorporates a number of important technical advances that have resulted in enhanced dynamic range, reduced jitter, improved channel separation and greatly improved musical realism. The new double-speed mapping feature adds even more delicacy, emotion and presence to this award-winning design.
The powerful digital processing platform of Vivaldi DAC is based around Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) chips, Digital Signal Processing (DSP) chips and a microcontroller system. All use code developed and maintained in the UK by dCS. Offering twice the logic capacity of previous generations, Vivaldi DAC is the current state-of-the-art in digital audio, delivering unmatched sonic and measured performance.
dCS pioneered the use of external clocks in digital audio systems, and the redesigned multi-stage Phase-Locked-Loop (PLL) system used in Vivaldi DAC sets world-beating standards for accuracy and control of troublesome jitter from the incoming audio stream.
Featuring a completely new interface designed to handle all high resolution musical formats up to DXD (24-bit data at 352.8 and 384kS/s) plus DSD/64 or DSD/128, the optimised DSP filters available to Vivaldi DAC owners will ensure you can extract every last nuance of musical detail and emotion by tuning the system to suit your personal preference.
The dCS ‘soft’ approach to programmable logic makes it extremely easy for users to update Vivaldi DAC software, whether adding new features, installing performance upgrades or adapting to changes in digital formats.
Used as a standalone DAC or as part of a complete Vivaldi digital audio playback system Vivaldi DAC gives a performance of effortless realism each and every time.
- Utilizes the latest generation dCS Digital Processing Platform for state-of-the-art measured performance and unrivalled fidelity.
- Designed for maximum flexibility by accepting audio data from a variety of digital sources.
- Flexible output configuration can be optimized in systems with or without preamplifiers.
- Comprehensive clocking architecture plus an auto-clocking mode used in the Vivaldi range improves ease-of-use and minimizes jitter.
- USB interface allows easy connection to a computer, accepting PCM data at up to 24/384 and DoP (DSD/64 or DSD/128 over PCM).
- The interface runs in asynchronous USB mode, making the DAC immune to jitter from noisy computer master clocks.
- Improved power supplies give lower running temperature and superior tolerance to AC supply variations.
- Multi-stage regulation ensures sensitive analogue circuitry is unaffected by digital interference.
- Separate power circuits for the digital and analogue sections further enhance the purity of the power supply.
- Aerospace-grade machined aluminium chassis fitted with tuned acoustic damping panels reduces magnetic effects and vibration.
Reviews link to website.
- TypeDigital-to-Analogue Converter.
- ColourSilver or Black.
- Dimensions444mm/17.5” x 435mm/17.2” x 151mm/6.0” high. Allow extra depth for cable connectors. Allow space for air flow around the unit.
- Converter TypedCS proprietary Ring DAC™ topology, with a choice of 3MHz or 6MHz operation.
- Analogue OutputsOutput Levels: 0.2V, 0.6V, 2V or 6V rms on all outputs for a full-scale input, set in the menu.
Balanced Outputs: 1 stereo pair on 2x 3-pin male XLR connectors (pin 2 = hot, pin 3 = cold). These outputs are electronically balanced and floating, the signal balance ratio at 1kHz is better than 40dB, Output impedance is 3Ω, maximum load is 600Ω (a 10kΩ-100kΩ load is recommended).
Unbalanced Outputs: 1 stereo pair on 2x RCA Phono connectors. Output impedance is 52Ω, maximum load is 600Ω (a 10kΩ-100kΩ load is recommended).
- Digital InputsUSB 2.0 interface on a type B connector. Operates in asynchronous mode, will accept PCM data up to 24 bits at 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384 kS/s and DoP (DSD/64 or DSD/128 over PCM) in USB Audio Class 2 mode, can operate in Class 1.
4x AES/EBU on 3-pin female XLR connectors. Each will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kS/s & DoP/64 OR 2x Dual AES pairs at 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 352.8, 384kS/s & DoP/64, DoP/128 plus dCS encrypted DSD.
3x SPDIF on 2x RCA Phono and 1x BNC connectors. Each will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192kS/s & DoP.
1x SPDIF optical on a Toslink connector, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kS/s.
1x SDIF-2 interface on 2x BNC connectors, will accept up to 24 bit PCM at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2 & 96kS/s or SDIF-2 DSD (auto-selected). This interface requires a compatible Word Clock input, locked to the data rate.
- Wordclock I/O3x Word Clock inputs on 3x BNC connectors, accept standard Word Clock at 32, 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4 or 192kHz. The data rate can be the same as the clock rate or an exact multiple (0.25x, 0.5x, 1x, 2x, 4x, 8x) of the clock rate. Sensitive to TTL levels.
Word Clock output on 1x BNC connector. In Master mode, a TTL-compatible 44.1kHz Word Clock is available. In Universal Master Mode a 38.4kHz Word Clock is available for use with the Vivaldi Upsampler.
- Residual NoiseBetter than -113dB0 @ 20Hz-20kHz unweighted (6V Setting).
- L R CrosstalkBetter than -115dB0, 20-20kHz.
- Spurious ResponsesBetter than -105dB0 @ 20-20kHz.
- FiltersPCM mode: 4 filters give different trade-offs between the Nyquist image rejection and the phase response. 2 extra filters are available at 44.1, 176.4, 192, 352.8 and 384kS/s. DSD mode: 4 filters progressively reduce out-of-audio band noise level (inherent in the 1 bit nature of DSD), plus Filter 5 which has an improved transient response.
- Software UpdatesLoaded from CD-R via PCM inputs or PC via USB interface.
- Local ControldCS Premium Remote is supplied as standard. RS232 (controlled by the Vivaldi Upsampler / app or a third party device).
- Power SupplyFactory set for 100, 115, 220 or 230V AC, 50-60Hz.
- Power Consumption23 Watts typical/50 Watts maximum.
Support , Update Software, Manuals, etc.
Link to dCS website Support page for Vivaldi